Sunday, October 26, 2008

marriage...me?

It's been awhile since I've posted because my life has been pretty uneventful lately. But today, I did something that was definitely an event. Something I thought I would never do -- shop for a wedding dress.

You see, my good friend Wendy booked a couple of appointments for the two of us. I was hesitant to try on anything myself but was happy to go along with her to help her pick out a dress for her wedding next year.

I believe an explanation is necessary at this point. I have never been that girl that has planned her wedding since she was 7, dressing up Ken and Barbie and playing out their dream wedding. No, I used to forego Barbie and Ken for my pogoball, my brothers skateboard or playing with boys. I was kind of a tomboy...never liked to wear dresses or anything mildly feminine. And this lasted until grade 11, when I believe my feminine side hit me in the face. Or my boobs hit me in the face.

I always set goals for myself - get a university degree, make a career out of writing (not there yet) and travel to far away adventurous places. No where did I include getting married. It had never crossed my mind. I pictured myself single forever...with a "flexible" partner in life.

How I happened to get to this point, the big G only knows. Well, the big G and me I guess. I met a very traditional guy and fell in love.

So there I found myself trying on dresses.

The first place we went to was perfect - very low-key and inexpensive. Wendy and I had the whole place to ourselves and the lady attending to us was so helpful. The best part was that I found a beautiful dress that may be the one.

We went and got coffee and made our way to the next place. Bisou Bridal. We walked in and immediately knew this was not the place for us. The girl attending to us was nice at first but when she saw that our budget was $1500 (actually, $500 but that was our only option on the form), she immediately changed her demeanor. She was condescending and I was ready to pull the plug but we decided to humour ourselves.

I tried on a few "couture" dresses and laughed a bit inside at how much they cost. The place was bustling with girls ooohing and aaahing at atrociously over-the-top dresses. Totally out of our element, we left without a dress or a good feeling about the whole experience.

And so, my first dress adventure started out great but ended with a big thumbs down. But the good thing is that I think I'm slowly getting used to this marriage idea. Hopefully I'll get even more comfortable and start planning the damn thing one of these days.

3 comments:

rawbean said...

haha so crazy! Yea I'm with you: wedding? what? huh?

Friday was so fun!

salsero! said...

Yeah - it's totally weird to me. Maybe I'm just not mature enough?

And WE have to do it again soon! You girls are so much fun :)

Invisible G. said...

Awh, it's an ease into it kinda thing. I would need a cushion before diving into marriage too!

It was a riot ladies! That wine put me out within an hour of arriving home!