Thursday, November 26, 2009

meu nome e


What's in a name? Mi nombre es? Does a name predict who we will become?

During my teenage years, I considered my name a "mom" name...Linda plain and simple. White bread plain in the English language. In Spanish, Leeeeenda. Pretty. Cute. So much more to the name. So much more special. My husband and I struggled with the perfect name for our daughter. My first intuition was Stella. Victor loved it (although he began the name discussion with "Victoria"...haha funny). The 9 month-long argument included these wonderful gems...also included are the reasons they were eliminated...or chosen...what a deliberation:

Stella (strong contender...but Stella...steeeeeella!)

Alexis (Victor didn't like)

Isabella (too long...Victor says no)

Alexa (sister-in-law's cats name)

Sofia (too "golden girls")

Natalie (loved it...Victor not liking the "English" sounding names...Natalia? too Italian!)

Nena (my favourite aunts name...pronunciation Nina...foresaw pronunciation problems)

Mia (strong contender...but in-law's laughed at the meaning in Portuguese...Mia equals the cat's meow in Portuguese...I was defiant and wanted to name her this nonetheless but the moment our glittering baby girl was placed on my chest, I saw a Bella, a beauty. I said her name aloud and she opened her eyes for the first time. And so Bella it was).

Felicia (chosen as a middle name...Feliz! Happy! Content! Jose Feliciano - "I want to wish you a merry chrrristmas!" also my make-believe name as a child)

Ah...the list went on...but we settled on Bella Felicia. Beautiful Happy! Sounds like the name of the nail salon down the street. Beautiful Happy Nails. Nonetheless, we love it. From plain and simple Linda, came pretty/cute to beautiful happy. Improve much?

No comments: