Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Dear Bella: Your First Christmas

I always loved big Christmas gatherings...always wished for them as I got older as it was only ever your grandparents, Frank and I. And with your dad's family, you will now always have a big family-filled Christmas to look forward to.

We spent your first Christmas at my parents. Grandma invited friends over and it was generally good times.


We relaxed by the fire, ate a nice turkey dinner prepared El Salvadoran style by your grandpa. I asked that we open gifts before midnite mass as I wasn't sure if I could stay up that late.

You were a lucky girl, spoiled with all the wrapping papered goodies sitting under the tree. I was your Christmas assistant, hired to open gifts and oooh and ahhh for you. I ask that you pay me in smiles and coos :)

You now have teddy bears galore lining your crib....clothes to allow you 6 changes a day for weeks (oh how we women love to have options!)...the cutest pair of faux Ugg boots from Elba and Adonay. Grandma Carmen and Grandpa Sean got you a cute little hippo outfit as well as your first Christmas onesie. Auntie Wendy got you "Violet", a teddy bear that says your name and favourite things!


After opening gifts, everyone left for midnite mass except your dad, grandpa, Frank and I. We put you to sleep at 12 finally and you slept until 5am!!! A five hour sleep session -- a first! All the Christmas activities must have wiped you out!

The next day, your grandpa and I decided to postpone our Christmas Day tradition of xcountry skiing and re-scheduled for Jan 2 (I can't wait until you can join us!). So, we packed up our things and trekked out to Langley for Christmas with Grandpa Victor and Grandma Lucia. As soon as we arrived, I left with your fur-brother Figo for a run as you settled in with Dad.

When we got back, we gave Jaiden his Christmas gifts including a mini-laptop...or as he says "COMPUTA". He loved to open it up, push all the buttons then slam the screen down.


Here you are with Bisavo Genoveva...is someone a little cranky?


Here you are with Avo Victor as he held you in his arms and laughed as you tried to talk to him. "Ohhhh" you said.


We put you to bed at your Avos at 11:30pm and you slept soundly until 4am :). A good 4.5 hours!

All in all, your first Christmas was joy-filled. Your dad and I got to spend it with our favourite person in the whole wide world!

No comments: